How the mighty have fallen! In the years since the end of the Reagan Administration the Republican Party’s internal ethics have been allowed to deteriorate dramatically. In King County, Washington, the seat of Seattle, a County larger than 13 States, the corruption has gone so far that cheating is the rule and fair process is the exception. Filmmaker George Abrantes captured a glimpse of it* on the first week of the caucuses to elect State delegates in an award-winning news clip:
The King County Republican Party is under the total control of its Chair, Lori Sotelo.
Sotelo, enabled by the rule-writing and committee process genius of attorney/wizard Dick Derham, has acquired the power:
1. To control the actions of each of 15 of 16 the Legislative District Leaders who serve only by her appointment and subject to her removal at whim.
2. To control 2/3 of the voting members of the KC Executive Board who serve by her appointment and subject to her removal at whim.
3. To MAKE ALL DECISIONS for the Central Committee in King County acting instead of the Precinct Committee Officers.
The King County PCOs have been stripped of any ability to:
- support or oppose any Sotelo policy,
- to support or oppose any Sotelo choice for any elective office
- to vote to overrule her on anything or even to discuss it.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
—* Significant footage was captured by John Batista, Karen Wagner, Paul Gambill and Phill Westbrook.